Butlers of 19th Liverpool U.K.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ members nobo - butler society ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Margaret Fitzsimons on March 19, 19104 at 15:53:59:

Peter Butler 12.7.1875 - 14.5.1851 Born at 4 Mill Street, off Woden Street, Salford although parental home in Liverpool. Peter worked in a bottling factory and as a dock labourer at Liverpool. Married Mary Ann Murphy of Wexford, in Liverpool 1900. Peter's brother, Joseph's body washed up, intact, at Kinsale. Stoker on board the Lusitania. Liason with Liverpool Maritime Museum. His father was Peter Butler 5.2.1850 - 20.7.1883 Cattle/pig/drover/dealer and railway worker. Married 12.2.1870 (Liverpool)Mary Mullins of Dublin.
His grandfather was James Butler b. Ireland 1827/8 A Provender Dealer (dry animal foodstuffs) Married Teresa Meehan b. 1832 Ireland.Alice Butler b. 1800 Ireland was James's mother. No more Irish information prior to 1800 is available. Alcoholism was rife amongst these Butlers. Some died young. They were staunch R.C.'s and donated a statue to St. Albans R.C. Church. My mother's brother, Robert Butler, was extremely swarthy and Spanish/Jewish looking. His twin, Edward, died at birth. These physical characteristics appearance helped us to identify the probable remains of Joseph Butler, the victim of the Lusitania. Butler is also a Romany name and I am always very wary of appropriation, by Travellers in Ireland and elsewhere to avoid harassment. Finally, Johanna, Hubert and Alice/Alicia are family names probably from Dublin connections but it's a long shot. Hope to input some more Liverpool Butlers onto the site soon. My mother said that the Butler's favourite expression was "God loves Ireland, and half of Birkenhead" so probably Butler connections living there, too. It was the main cattle docking station from Dublin before the journey to Liverpool and Manchester for slaughtering of the livestock.She recalled an old 19thC photograph showing a prosperous block -hatted Butler wearing smart dress and an expensive gold watch fob.
They owned some enormous Oil paintings with religious themes. These were easily six feet in length.I saw them as a child. They were terrifying. But whole family were working class and sublet their cellar house to their Murphy and Blake relatives, from Wexford. No known academics. One Butler "got" religious mania. Another married and became the mother of a Liverpool catholic priest, Fr. Merrick (deceased)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ members nobo - butler society ] [ FAQ ]