Patrick Butler, Ireland to England

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ members nobo - butler society ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Butler on March 17, 19101 at 11:35:57:

Patrick Butler ( & others of same family) � emigrated from Ireland to N.W. England in 1840s or early 1850s

Enquiry from new member living in England. Does any of this fit in with your researches?

Looking for information on birthplace of Patrick Butler (my great-great-grandfather) who came to England from Ireland presumably, but not certainly, in 1840s at time of Famine. In 1851 Census, Patrick was living in Stalybridge (8 miles east of Manchester).

Stalybridge attracted large numbers of Irish, mostly to its cotton manufacturing firms. Many Irish connections traceable through records of St. Peter�s Catholic Church, Stalybridge.

Patrick was born Ireland (1827-34). Precise whereabouts of birth unknown. County Waterford has been mentioned, but cannot place any degree of certainty on this information. Patrick died in Stalybridge, 1906.

Patrick�s father was James Butler (described as a Weaver on certificate of Patrick�s 1st marriage to Honorah / Hannah Moran in 1852). 3 known children of this marriage including Thomas (my great grandfather, b. Stalybridge 1855, m. Mary Doyle 1883; d. Stalybridge 1927).

Other Butlers of Patrick�s generation to whom he seems to have been closely related are: James, Thomas, Richard and Bridget.

Ascendancy tree starting from my father�s parents traces all my family antecedents back to Ireland from Stalybridge. They include the following surnames: Doyle (Kildare), McGuire (Kildare), Moran (2 separate families � one from Leitrim), Morris / Morrisey (Galway), Clemm / Glynn, Luby and O�Neill.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ members nobo - butler society ] [ FAQ ]